The history of the Light Cavalry
The Light Cavalry was originally formed in 1861. In 1891 the Light Cavalry was disbanded and absorbed into the Horse Artillery element of the Honourable Artillery Company (HAC)
In 1979 the Light Cavalry was reformed as a ceremonial unit of the HAC.
Duties include escorting the Lady Mayoress on the Lord Mayor's parade along with providing a carpet guard at the Law Courts. The Light Cavalry provide various escort parades throughout the year and also provide tent pegging displays.
In April 2004, the Captain General of the HAC, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, presented to the Light Cavalry a Royal Warrant that enacts the rights and responsibilities of this sub-unit of her famous Regiment.